In the continuing search for potable water solutions in developing countries, researchers have turned to plant xylem. Below are the highlights of the just published research paper on this solution. I strongly suggest you read the entire paper if this is of interest to you (link below). If you are in the Cliffs Notes fan […]
Archive | February, 2014
A couple years ago, David Wescott turned me on to a great blog about woodcraft and traditional camping, The Woods Life. They have been in our Blog Roll under Online Resources ever since. It is long overdue we point out some of the great articles over there. And, as I have been studying Sleeping Bags lately, […]
Messages and Messengers Below is the full text and audio version of Ralph Waldo Emerson’s, Self-Reliance, from Essays: First Series, published in 1841. I post this because there is a recurring theme from some folks in the sharing of outdoor living skills… one that says, “this has all been done before” or “there is nothing new.” Whether […]
“The first camp I ever made was built exactly after the ‘Nessmuk’ pattern, shanty-tent, camp-fire with butternut back-logs, and all. My only implement besides knives, was a double-bitted hatchet just like his, of surgical instrument steel, only eighteen ounces. I was alone. I stayed in that camp five weeks in October and November; and I […]
Disclaimer: Although most of us here mix modern and traditional skills all the time, this article is aimed mainly at the individual with little or no knowledge regarding the use of traditional skills in conjunction with modern gear in the outdoors. Hopefully it will be helpful to those outdoor persons who happen across this site […]
May 27th – 31st, 2014 – Ancestral Skills for Self-Sufficiency Bridges To The Past are pleased to announce that registration is now open for their spring gathering in Northeast Washington State. Last year was a great time, and this year, they are ready to do it again! Instructors are checking in with their planned classes and […]
I have been viewing Google Crisis Maps for several years now as it is a powerful tool bringing information from many agency resources into one map virtually real-time. Check out the video below for a brief explanation… While the video is informative, it really doesn’t do this solution justice. The light bulb to share went […]
Search This Site
- Survival Entertainment, Friend or Foe? An exclusive interview with Cody Lundin June 26, 2014
- Leave No Trace killed Woodcraft… almost March 2, 2015
- Steven Miles Watts March 22, 2016
- Promoting Outdoor Living Skills January 2, 2015
- Your Guide To Survival Using A Trash Bag June 25, 2013
- ChrisW: I just discovered Master Woodsman a few weeks ago ...
- Steve: It is certainly a big dilemma... We need to keep o...
- Debby: I hate haters and negative people. Regardless, Bra...
- Ric l Carter: Same here in the north west. Skin so Soft has been...
- James A. Ritchie: Practicing at home is a must, but so is going into...