Filmed in 1954, Robert Anderson, an National Film Board of Canada producer, and Angus Baptiste, a Native guide, allow themselves to be marooned in the bush with only an axe and their wits as means of survival. They eat off the land, build their own birchbark canoe and make their way out. Other great documentaries […]
Archive | March, 2014
Simply stating that Colonel Townsend Whelen (1877-1961) was just an outdoorsman is like saying that Babe Ruth was just a baseball player. According to the dust jacket flap of On Your Own in the Wilderness (Whelen and Angier), 1958, Whelen wrote his first outdoor magazine article in 1901 and afterward, his work appeared in outdoor […]
When we started this site, for a while we were sending daily quotes via Twitter (@MasterWoodsmen). Unfortunately, most quotes wouldn’t fit in a tweet. All that being said, the quotes we had prepared are now all in a dedicated page under RESOURCES in the toolbar. We will continue to update quotes there moving forward. For […]
As our great friend Steve Watts says, “…without the context, it’s just arts and crafts.” To briefly put into context, the video below was shot in 1985, almost 30 years ago. That was BEFORE the internet. You remember, that time in our history when people actually shared outdoor living skills in person because they didn’t […]
Below are a few wilderness survival (or survival-like) quotes that resonate with me personally. Please be aware that some quotes won’t mean much or could be misinterpreted without the surrounding context from the author. Therefore, they are NOT intended to be survival advice, although I am sure you will find many you will like and […]
Neat story in the video… Hard to imagine thinking that far ahead as busy as we all are these days. In managing timberland as I did years ago, there was always planning for a rotation or more ahead (50+/- years), and I was always cognizant about future impacts to riparian zones and wildlife corridors. Sadly […]
Search This Site
- Survival Entertainment, Friend or Foe? An exclusive interview with Cody Lundin June 26, 2014
- Leave No Trace killed Woodcraft… almost March 2, 2015
- Steven Miles Watts March 22, 2016
- Promoting Outdoor Living Skills January 2, 2015
- Your Guide To Survival Using A Trash Bag June 25, 2013
- ChrisW: I just discovered Master Woodsman a few weeks ago ...
- Steve: It is certainly a big dilemma... We need to keep o...
- Debby: I hate haters and negative people. Regardless, Bra...
- Ric l Carter: Same here in the north west. Skin so Soft has been...
- James A. Ritchie: Practicing at home is a must, but so is going into...