The physicality of satisfying our essential needs today is virtually effortless – like strolling through the aisles of a grocery store or turning a knob to heat an oven. So why turn back history and roam forest and field to dig up edible roots? Why twirl a stick in your hands to near exhaustion in […]
Archive | July, 2013
It is that time of year again — when I start thinking about travel to Rabbitstick. The event is held September 15 – 21, 2013 in Rexburg, ID… so a flight into Jackson Hole, WY (90 miles) or Salt Lake City, UT (240 miles) is in my near future. If you are not familiar with the […]
The Jumping Off Place: The Relationship of Outdoor Skills and Camping to the Concept of Wilderness by Tom Ray
Recently I have been thinking about the connections among outdoor skills, camping and the concept of “wilderness.” What are these connections and what do they mean for those of us that enjoy practicing a wide variety of outdoor skills (for lack of a better catch-all term), including Bushcraft, Woodsmanship, Woodcraft, or whatever they may be […]
Sorry I didn’t see this sooner! Cody Lundin is holding an auction to raise money for the families of the 19 fallen firefighters who died battling the Yarnell Hill fire. Link is HERE! Auction closes 7/22/13 at 6 p.m. Arizona time.
I made the video below 3 years ago. Since that time, and for many years prior, nothing has changed for me in how I collect and treat water in the backcountry for biological pathogens. And when I say collect, it is more than just dipping my bottle or pot in a creek, there is […]
Google News globally searches key words of interest for me. For over a year now one of those words has been ‘bushcraft.’ Every couple of days or so there is a new article mentioning Bushcraft. All but two of a 100+ news articles have been from the UK. And each of those have been about […]
Search This Site
- Survival Entertainment, Friend or Foe? An exclusive interview with Cody Lundin June 26, 2014
- Leave No Trace killed Woodcraft… almost March 2, 2015
- Steven Miles Watts March 22, 2016
- Promoting Outdoor Living Skills January 2, 2015
- Edible Wild Plants for Survival, (Not) So Fast! August 16, 2014
- Ron: You sound like a hunting accident...
- sam robert: I’ll generally be a collapsing blade fellow on a...
- Jim: One issue to note. Many trash bags are treated wi...
- Margie Hunter, TNP board of directors: Your information on the Tennessee Naturalist Progr...
- Megan C: It's strange but I've eaten turtle my whole life...