A lot of people talk about “getting away from it all.” This woman did it Australia. For that, and the increasing interest in rewilding here in North American, I felt it pertinent to share her story from The Morning Bulletin… IT WAS another morning of missing lunchbox lids and avoided voicemails when a familiar voice […]
Archive | January, 2015
Tramping In The Old Style by Steven M. Watts 2014 “Tramping” in the literature of the Classic Camping era refers to “pedestrian camping” or “camping afoot”… what would one day come to be known as “backpacking.” The references to shoulder slings or tumplines for packing bedrolls are almost non-existent in the writings of the Classic Camping […]
The American Hobo by Steven M. Watts 2013 “They were road kids, and with every word they uttered the lure of The Road laid hold of me more imperiously…And it all spelled Adventure.” – Jack London Definitions (from The Golden Age—1870’s-1920’s) Hobo: migratory worker (“travels and works”) Tramp: migratory non-worker (‘travels but doesn’t work”) Bum: […]
Outside the obvious, such as camping (duh!), below is a chronological list of organized events in 2015. Also see this LINK for some great training opportunities. Kamp Kephart ’15 – The Academy of Classic Camping Dates: multiple in 2015, see ‘here’ link below Location: Kamphaven at the Schiele Museum. Gastonia, North Carolina Website: Details and PDF registration are HERE […]
The main purpose of Master Woodsman is to Promote Outdoor Living Skills. Within that broad statement should be a discussion on skill level and the skill level of those that teach or even share knowledge. That is what this article is… a catalyst for thought and discussion, NOT a decree from me or anyone else associated […]
Search This Site
- Survival Entertainment, Friend or Foe? An exclusive interview with Cody Lundin June 26, 2014
- Leave No Trace killed Woodcraft… almost March 2, 2015
- Steven Miles Watts March 22, 2016
- Promoting Outdoor Living Skills January 2, 2015
- Your Guide To Survival Using A Trash Bag June 25, 2013
- Ric l Carter: Same here in the north west. Skin so Soft has been...
- James A. Ritchie: Practicing at home is a must, but so is going into...
- Charles Begin: Awesome article Chris! Great job of putting togeth...
- Leave No Trace Camping; The Harmful Side Effects - Soft Tracks: […] across a great article from masterwoodsm...
- Prepper Basics – Priority #1: Heat – Through My Lens…: […] Download for yourself a chart that shows...